Wednesday, March 4, 2009

What makes What I Saw and How I Lied a book that might be worthy of the National Book Award?

Blundell does an excellent job with this book. First, with her language she creates a very mature and thought provoking setting. As soon as I began reading the book I pictured a scene from the "Notebook." It was a very nostalgic book that really draws you in. This was definitely National Book Award worthy. Blundell used imagery and language that, to me, is very relatable to any age. Her creation of relationships and how they interact throughout the book is very easily understandable and I am sure many of the young readers can relate. The book is also a page turner, with every page she creates new detailed imagery or brings in new characters that always keep the reader on the edge.
I definitely enjoyed this book and feel that it is worthy of the National book award. She created a great story that is mature and relatable.

3 comments:

  1. Victoria,

    I agree with you 100%. I did not even think of the fact that the book does put one in the mind of the movie "The Notebook." Like you, I felt that the book was worthy of the National Book Award. It is a very relatable book that can easily be appealing to all mature readers. Also, the fact that it kept you on edge and wondering what was going to happen next kept me intrigued and left me thinking that it was definitely worthy of the aforementioned award. Great observances and blog!

    Nikitris

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved how the book was a page turner and very nostalgic, but I did not see a relationship to The Notebook. I felt like the mom was pursuing the daughter's boyfriend as opposed to the mom disliking the daughter's boyfriend. I did agree that the language and symbols used were really strong and helped the book move along.

    - Mandy

    ReplyDelete