Friday, April 17, 2009

What would you say to an "unbeliever" who tried to convince you that children's and young adult authors are "inferior" writers?

I would first say you should have taken EDU 320! I honestly feel that this course has opened my eyes and allowed me to see young adult and children's literature in a whole new light.

I will say that before I started this course I was not much of a reader. I could not seem to find anything that would keep my attention long enough to get past the first page. By taking this course I think I realized that I was in the wrong section of the book store. I should have been in the YA and CHILDREN'S LIT section.

These books are incredible. The text is so well thought out and truly committed to helping the reader engage in the story. I feel that this literature is relatable for all ages. We were all young adults and children at one point in time and reflecting on the past through someone else's story is a wonderful experience. To me these books are like memory enhancers; they truly bring out the good and the bad from the good ol' days.

This type of literature also helps you to escape and enter a realm of freedom. These books challenge you to leave the adult world and use a little bit of your inner child and imagination. Reading these books has definitely been that escape for me. As I have been reading them, I could channel everything out and just enjoy the magic, symbolism, and and heightened imagery involved in the story, but when I closed the book I was back in the real world.

I am happy to say that I am an official fan of YA and Children's Literature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Victoria,
    I think all of us took away something wonderful from this class. I agree that the books selected made the whole experience eye opening (or reopening for me). I never stopped reading young adult literature, but I lost the conscious appreciation of what makes us flow along with the novels. These books were excellent examples of great authorship.

    ReplyDelete